Thursday, October 29, 2009

pp. 85-115


After the forced march, the prisoners are crammed into a barracks. That night, Juliek plays a fragment of a Beethoven concerto on the violin he has managed tokeep the entire time he was at Auschwitz. What do you think prompts Juliek to play that evening? What does the music mean to Eliezer? To the other prisoners who hear the sounds? To Juliek?

57 comments:

  1. I think what inspired Juliek to play his violin was to inspire others to die for what they love and cherish. Music means hope, joy and delight to Elie, and while he listened, he must have felt a sense of peace inside him. When others saw the courage Juliek had to go out there, they receive some encouragement to not give up. To Juliek, it meant his life, but it also meant the long lasting inspiration it would have on those who heard the melody. It was cold marching in the snow for such a long time, but it didn't stop Juliek to do what he lived for. It was a strong statement to show others they can do the same, and that they can make it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Juliek was going to die that night and he wanted to leave this world peacefully and forget about all the chaos and terror surrounding him. Eliezer thinks of the music as Juliek’s way of saying goodbye and his final moments on this world. The other prisoners are too caught up in the terror to care about what Juliek is playing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since Juliek was going to die that night I believe he wanted to play the violin to put himself at ease and also to show others that it is okay to allow yourself to give up. They all think of the music as a free offering of peace and as a strike to forget of the worlds destruction and to enter the rest of your life with no worries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Juliek played it because he enjoys the music. He wants to play it at least one last time before he dies, if he does at all. It reaches to the other prisoners on a deeper level too, I feel, because they think that it might be their last time listening to music and that strikes fear in their hearts

    ReplyDelete
  5. 85-115 in the barracks I think Juliek played his violin because he wanted to do something he loved before he died. This sound brought hope, tranquility and soothing feelings to everyone. The music made prisoners take their mind off Auschwitz concentration camp and helped them relax for a little bit. It showed the prisoners to live for something they love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  7. To me I feel that music represented how trapped and depressing there situation was. To hear such beautiful music before death to me was too have a last show and that show is death coming after them until the end. If I was in that situation I would feel that music would make me think about all the things that had gone through me and my fellow prisoners.
    October 20, 2014 at 1:05 PM
    It is very ironic to them because no matter how much they work they will never be set free and will continue to work until they die. What they did was very traumatic and was a complete insult to them because they have to do so much work and the words stuck in their heads mocking them day and night

    ReplyDelete
  8. i think juliek wanted to play beautiful music one last time before he died and i think he wanted to try and calm the other prisoners down and try and let them know that everything will be alright and they should stand up for what they belive in

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think Juliek plays his violin that evening as a good bye song; a grand finale to his life (since he was to die that night). I think the music represented peace to both Elie and Juliek which is kind of contrary to their situation everyone was in, in Auchwitz. I think the music drew some fear out and took the attention of the camp away for just a little bit for everyone (prisoners) as they listened to the music.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well juliek was going to die that night and the way he could enjoy the last moments of his life was to play his violin. When he started playing it sounded so beautiful that some of the prisoners of Auschwitz camp took most of their mind and relax their and body for some time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think Juliek plays the violin as a goodbye. Becuase he was going to die. The music represted happiness and and a last saying kind of in my outlook. I think it means alot to Eliezer because he had hope and joy in music. StewardS5

    ReplyDelete
  12. The reason he played that song is because he wanted his last moment to be something he enjoyed. It was a distraction from the awfulness of the camp and was a good thing for a change. It was his finale big moment to his life and he controlled it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The person who is called Juliek play the violin because he want to inspire people to not give up the hope.The meaning to Elie is peace, hope and persevance.It encourage people a lot in this kind of situation.

    ReplyDelete
  14. juliek played the violin because he wanted to die in the most peacful way possible.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Juliek played the violin because it shows his devotion and the inspiration he wanted to give to the people and to himself. his music represent the suffer he had and all feeling that he cannot express from word but from the music he was showing his feeling toward the cruel life that he lived on.

    ReplyDelete
  16. 13. After long marching in the snow, all prisoners were forced to stay in the barracks. There was no air. No one eat for about a week. However Juliek was person that never gives up. He took his violin and began to play. He died together with the thing that he loved. He died without pain, he enjoyed o paly and did not pay any attention to that and he encouraged others to be strong and never give up. Juliek died like a hero the in peace with the thing that the loved.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i think that he knew that death was coming because they werent allowed to play german music and would be punished severly for it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. During the march, so many people had died from being pushed so hard, and others were questioning why they should even carry on. Juliek played the concerto to mourn the people who had died. In doing this, I think the music also gave strength to the people to carry on, and brought joy to them in a time of sadness. He also did it to express his emotions. I think playing it gave him a sense of home, and breathed life into him while everything else around was death and sorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  19. He played that song because he knows he can't cheat death so this song is his salvation. To be free from the camp and to sooth his fathers death. To forget what happened in the past and to relax and soak in the present time. Also since Juliek played it he loved to play music so this was the best part of his journey.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Since Juliek knew he was going to die, he wanted to play the violin once more to set his mine at ease and play it for amusement. When Elie heard this music he had a sense of ease, hope and, joy. The music showed Elie, actually not just Elie, but everyone else that they should keep trying to live. The music probably put everybody to an a emotionally stable state that told everyone to live on.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think Juliek played the music because he wanted to enjoy his last moments before he died. So he can forget about the things that happened in the concentration camp. I think that he wanted to give people hope by playing the music.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think Juliek plays because he feel the tension of everyone is upset and everyone feels as though they are defeated and the song is a symbol to Eliezer and everyone else because its not a song of depression “we already lost” it’s a song of lets keep fighting don’t give and lets persevere through the good and the bad and remember that we will survive and that we can still live as long as we try.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think Juliek played music because he felt that he was going to die, so he wanted to enjoy his last moments by playing music. I also think the reason why Juliek played the music was because he probably felt that it would help ease the moment and help him forget about what he went through at the concentration camp.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think Juliek played the music on his violin because he felt that it would be his last time playing and because he also had not played in a long time and missed the feeling of it. He also probably felt that it would relax people's minds and help the moment feel easier and more smooth. I think to Elie and Juliek, it made things easier and the way he played really made them think about how much their lives changed since they had been through multiple camps. I believe to other people around them it sounded peaceful but they may have wanted to just go too sleep and not really care for it because it wasn't their main priority to listen to.

    ReplyDelete
  25. : He wanted to die doing what he loved: playing the violin. Elie thought the music was beautiful. I think it gives sweet sound to a bad situation. He played to give the prisoners a tiny bit of joy or happiness before they passed.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think juliek played this sad song because he knew that he was going to die soon and also it probably made him forget his experiense at Auschwitz.

    ReplyDelete
  27. • I think that it influenced him to play his violin because hearing the music was incredible. Music to them I’m sure brought a sense of peace and happiness. It also meant that he may die doing what he loved but that was the best way to die in their circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think that the reason that Juliek play his violin was because it kept him calm and happy since the violin could easily remind him of life before camp. I think that the song represented hope to Elie because if Juliek was able to keep his violin and have the courage and the want to play then maybe there was hope that they would all be able to keep their lives, want to live and get out of camp. I think that the song was calming for the majority of the people who were listening because it is something that they do not get to have at Auschwitz and they were all very tired after running so much so the song probably calmed them down. I think that as Juliek played, it calmed everyone because it was a reminder of life before they were sent to camp.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I view what Juliek did to be a tremendous act of rebellion. When the aim of his oppressors was to crush the individual into conformity he showed his defiance in a way without guns, without bombs, without anger or violence. I feel that in playing his final concerto he expresses the suffering of all his fellow prisoners. He expresses the anguish of all those beaten, all those starved, all those murdered in and instant in a sea of others who suffered the same silent fate, and of all those whose last breaths instilled fear and obedience into bystanders. He expresses the misery of so many in a manner so individual, and without uttering a single syllable.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I think the Juliek played this because he knew that he was coming to an end. He wanted to play something that was resembling what was going on and what was going to happen to everyone else.It was a miracle that he was allowed to keep his instrument. Since he knew that he would soon be dying, i think he thought it would be a good time to play it. This resembled that something either good or bad was going to happen, even though Elie did not know what was going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Juliek played his violin because it might have reminded him of the past before the camp it might have made him happy and not worry about the situation at hand. This made Elie fell like there's hope for Juliek to keep his violin. The people that heard this song calmed them from all the running they were doing because they never got this back in Auschwitz it also might have remind them about the past.

    ReplyDelete
  33. i think he started playing his violin at that time because everybody was tried and cold from running, i think he was also trying to calm everybody down. i also think that he knew that he might die, so he wanted to play his violin for the last time.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I think Juliek had a feeling he was going to die that night and just decided to do what he loved to do the most which was play his violin. Playing the Beethoven concerto sort of expressed all the lost lives and pain that has occured at the camp, the music helped Juliek and Ellie keep the thoughts of the horrific camp off their minds and have peace before Juliek takes his final breath.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Juliek started playing this because he needed something to calm and relax himself because he knew it was his time for him to go and it could also make him happy that he is playing his favorite part of that song.

    ReplyDelete
  36. i think what made juliek decide to play again was the thought of him dying and never being able to play again. i think playing the violine gave him a sense of freedom and made him go to his one happy place. i think what the music means to elizer is to keep trying and not give up on his dreams because juliek didn't. I think what the music meant to the other prisoners is nothing really i dont think anyone but elizer heard it.

    ReplyDelete
  37. the reason that juliek plays his violin that night is because he probably knew that was his last night to live and since it was his last night to live he wanted to do something he loved before he died. this was to show others that they should die doing something that you love.

    ReplyDelete
  38. The reason is that he plays it is because he knows that he will never play it again. He wants to enjoy his prize that he has kept for all this time. I think that the other prisoners think that this is their last song that they will hear.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I think what mad him to this was all his memories of playing the violin, and the thought of never being able to play again made him want to play one last song before his end.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I think juliek played the violin that night to express his sorrow and so that he would die leaving behind the sound of music in their ears and to say farewell to the world and welcome others to do the same. Also I think this was his last act of rebellion because he was not allowed to play German songs. It would have been soothing to the other prisoners and collectively they all shared in his last moment.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I think that juliek wanted to remember his home. And I think that that was the effect with everyone in the barracks.

    ReplyDelete
  42. It got to everyone because they knew that it was going to be the last song they ever heard, and for Juliek it was going to be the last time he gets to play his violin.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I think that juliek knew that it was time for him to die but for others the music that juliek was playing must have been a sign for hope that they would have there freedom someday.It was also a relaxation song for most of the prisoners but i think that Ellie was thinking about the people who died and how they all have had a painful time at Auschwitz and he feels like he has to survive so those who died have something to die for like freedom from the death camp.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I think that Juliek played his violin because when he died he wanted to die doing something he wanted or had control over. instead of dying while being tortured he died while doing something beautiful. the music to Eliezer was a sign of hope. i think that the music was a sign of something but the other prisoners all probably interpreted it as something different. some probably thought it was just a kid playing the violin, it depends on how you look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I believe that Juliek played a fragment of a Beethoven concert as a good bye and a motivation to all the prisoner not to give up on their hopes. He wanted to find peace within himself and to do something that he really enjoy doing before his death. In addition, he also wanted to let go of his hatred and to express the sorrow and sadness he had been thought. To Elie, Juliek's music meant hopes, relaxation, and encouragement. Juliek was really brave he played a Beethoven's fragment, which the German did not allow.

    ReplyDelete
  46. What I think prompted Juliek to play his violin when the prisoners were all crammed into the barracks is he wanted those who were dying to die listening to a sweet melody and he probably thought he was going to die that night as well and he wanted to play his violin for the last time. What I think the music meant to Elie is motivation and inspiration to keep going so that he could eventually do what he truly loved for the last time in peace. To Julieck I believe the music gave him the relaxation he needed to die

    ReplyDelete
  47. I think that Juliek knew he was going to die that night and played a calming melody to make himself feel a little bit better. I also think that he played the music for the other prisoners that were going to die that night to help them relax and be calm. I also believed he played the music because he wanted for himself and the other prisoners to hear music for the last time, before they died. What I think the music meant to Elie was that he felt he was going to die as well. It was the end for him but he ended up not giving up.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I think that juliek played because he knew it will be his lat night. he wanted to remember the nice things that happened. And i think what it meant for the other prisoners is the last quiet and sweet sound of a violin. And by knowing he will die i think he just wanted to play the violin for the very last time. And for Elie i think that it played back memories and he felt really sad about the others.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Since Juliek knew he was going to die in Auschwitz that evening, he wanted to play his violin one last time before he goes so he could set his mind at ease. When Eliezer heard the music coming from Juliek’s violin he felt at ease and joy, he felt like fighting on and trying to survive the hell he was placed in. The prisoners at the camp probably had a similar feeling as well.

    ReplyDelete
  50. After the forced marching that night I think Juliek played his violin because he knew that he was going to die soon in the barracks. He was so tired and he didn't have any strength left enough to go on the marching. I think the violin he played meant Eliezer and other prisoners sound of death coming towards them. It was playing their sorrow and sadness.To himself, It was his last time playing violin he managed to keep in Auschwitz and he meant to comfort other prisoners in the death situation.

    ReplyDelete
  51. I think what inspired Juliek to play his violin was to inspire others to die for what they love. he knew he was going to die, he was so tired and he didn't have any strength left enough to go on the marching.When Elie heard the music coming from Juliek’s violin he felt at calm and joy, he felt like fighting on and trying to survive this horrifying hell place.I think this was his last act of rebellion because he was not allowed to play any German songs.

    ReplyDelete
  52. i think what inspired juliek to play his violin was to show the people hope about what could happen and tha tyou never know and he wanted to die for what he loved and he was so tired and he couldn't go on anymore with the marching and when elie heard him play his violin he felt calm and at ease and joy and he felt like he could go on and fight and survive what was happening.

    ReplyDelete
  53. I think yuliek loved Music and Loved playing So when he was about to die he wanted to play one last time to leave the world to the sound of his own music.

    ReplyDelete
  54. I think Juliek played that piece because he felt that it was the end of the line and that he knew that this was the end for them. To ellie it was kind of a salute to everyone and all of the jews that died.

    ReplyDelete
  55. I think that Juliek played the music as a beautiful finally to a sad short story and to say good bye to all those he cared for . I think that the music was also a way of saying that without despair we wouldn't know of happiness. and that no matter how bad things may be there is always hope. the other prisoners were inspired to continue with what little strength they had left to continue and try to survive.

    ReplyDelete
  56. I believe that he decided to play because of the hardships they went through had him fed up with all of it so he needed a comfort. He played this for the others too, they were comforted by it and it kept everyone calm. To Eliezer the music meant Juliek’s life. He said that Juliek was pouring all of his life into the music and it was all coming out. He died that night so that was true.

    ReplyDelete